Chicago Post high school Plans (My response)

Here is the original Link to the article on "No post-High School Plans? Chicago Doesn't think you should Graduate"

My response

I don't think it's a good idea for Chicago to make it a requirement to make post-highschool plans. Chief Education Officer Dr. Janice K. Jackson stated: "We all need to change how we think about what it means to be a High School graduate a diploma alone isn't enough anymore." I totally agree with her statement, there is a high value in being a high school graduate. I have talked with mom before and she explained how you can have a 4.0, having extra Curriculum and you will graduate probably alongside a guy that barely made it with C's or maybe some D's. So I do think there should be a higher standard. However, according to Yuritzy Ramos in an article made on, March 15, 2013, "About 80 percent of students in the United States end up changing their major at least once. On average, college students change their major at least three times." I couldn't help but, pause, when I read that. That alone is only for college students. In high school, we can only stand and wonder what College is going to be like. How can you expect a High school student to make these big plans for themselves and then end up not even wanting to go that route anymore? Even then, if you go to a High School and ask students "what do you want to be when you grow up." I know that might sound like a really cheesy childish question, and the high school students are young adults, but really, you might get some responses, but most of the answers would be "I don't know." Also in the article, it stated that Jackson said: she "doesn't anticipate that any students will be deterred from graduating based on the new requirement, which after all requires only a plan." I don't think Jackson gets how big that plan really is. At this point, Jackson wants to set up students for only one plan and stick with that. I struggle just trying to keep my grades up, now on top of that, I also have to think, if I don't make my plan now, I won't accomplish the main bridge that connects me and my plan.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something interesting

SOMEONE TO CHECK OUT!

song of the day! #6